Sunday, May 10, 2009

Man, it is really hard to motivate myself to do anything right now!

The last two days, I've been enjoying what some might call the quintessential Hungarian (and East German) holiday on Lake Balaton. With Fulbright we visited the Herend porcelain factory (anyone who can explain the history of porcelain to me gets 100 points), ate Balaton fish (pike-perch? Is that a single fish?) at their restaurant (on Herend china, no less!), and then checked out the abbey at Tihany. Andras I, one of the first four or five Christian kings of Hungary, is buried there, and the last Hapsburg Emperor was there for a week before he had to flee the country (empire?).

After that, a couple of us stayed behind to enjoy a day filled with ice cream, healthy sour water from Balatonfured's natural springs, and of course, some beach. I wouldn't say I got quite as tan as I would have liked, but after swimming and being in the sun all day I definitely slept like a brick.

As sad as I will be to see this come to a close, I have to say that I will be relieved when I am not in school anymore. I hope to some day find a job that will make me want to get out of bed in the morning. I don't know if that will be next year or what, but I'm pretty sure it's not theoretical math.

No comments: