It is wickedly cold here in Hungary. We were lucky insofar as our Indian summer lasted well into November, but (to mangle some idioms) the cows have come home to roost and finally I have to reconcile myself to the fact that it is actually winter and will be for the next few months. We even have a bit of snow, although not more than enough to merely dust the ground. It makes me want to drink spiced hot chocolate or some tasy forralt bor.
It's really shocking to remember every once in a while that the semester is ending in three weeks (!!!). I have a lot to take care of before that -- tying up loose ends with coursework, buying a plane ticket home, taking the GRE, figuring out exams... As to be expected, I vascillate between mortified-anxious-productive and calm-unmotivated. It's currently unclear to me what sort of exam schedule I'll have. I have seven courses, so I could theoretically have anywhere from one to seven exams; I'm hoping more for one than for seven.
Otherwise life is pretty good. Two weeks ago a couple of us went to Eger, a small town two or three hours away from Budapest by train. Although I know it mostly for the wine (which is plentiful, cheap, and delicious), the city is also famous for having turned back a Turkish invasion in the early 16th century. Unfortunately the Turks eventually won out, so Eger is also home to a lonely minaret, the northernmost standing example of Turkish architecture in Europe. Foolishly, I thought it would be a great idea to climb said minaret... I forgot that I am afraid of both small, enclosed spaces and heights. Great view of the city, though! You couldn't pay me to do it again.
Additionally, we ate enough game to last me until this time next year, so all in all I would consider the trip a sucess.
Up and coming plans: Friday I met a Hungarian who plays the bass in multiple folk bands. He suggested a place we should go Tuesday evening to hear some sweet tunes. I will fill you in on how that goes.
Monday, November 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
There was a place that was good for tunes and dancing (both of the traditional Hungarian variety) that Katie and I liked. I think it was Thursdays, though. Also I don't recall the name...it was a tanchaz in a rec center (I forget the word for this) on Almassy Ter. A funny thing was that there was a bar, in the rec center.
Some guys on a train gave Katie directions to it. And maybe some wine, I forget whether that was part of the story.
Post a Comment