Thursday, May 7, 2009

Bureaucracy, take 100

After a brief hiatus, I am back to fighting Hungarian bureaucracy. I have a job for the summer, and it's not even teaching English! Instead, I will be teaching myself C++ and then programming like a madwoman. Theoretically, the C++ shouldn't be difficult after learning Java... However, the nice way of putting it is that my Java is rusty; for all intents and purposes, I am currently re-teaching myself. So why waste time doing that when I could teach myself another language instead?

Plans for this month (of which there are many):

1. Get a tax number.

To work, I need a tax number. I spent two weeks trying to figure out how to get one. It turns out I just need to bring my passport and my bad self to an office which, in typical fashion, is only open twice a week. It is also likely that they don't speak English.

2. Get a new flat.

Although I have a lease on my current one until the end of June, it will be too expensive once I am no longer in Uncle Sam's warm, fiscal embrace. It's also a bit big and the space is used funny, so I pay the same my friends do for studios, but instead I get a twin bed and an 8m2 room. Furthermore, I need to have a flat to extend my visa, and I might as well move before I do this. So I'm looking at two places this evening and another two (hopefully) on Monday. Side benefits: hopefully I can get a place with a bigger bed, better ventillation (--> painting in the room) and cool Hungarian roommmates.

3. Extend my visa

"Extending" my visa is a misnomer -- for all intents and purposes I am just applying for a new one. Sans Fulbright, I will probably have to pay a couple thousand forint. I also need to have some money in my bank account... Unclear how much, but presumably enough to assure the government that I won't be a leach on the rump of the wellfare state. This probably will involve borrowing money from my parents or myself. Also I need an apartment: see 2.

4. Health Insurance Number

Apparently I get this after I get my tax number? It's good because I will get Hungarian health insurance (although the Hungarian health care system seems unsustainable, I am happy to reap its benefits).This is GOOD, because if I pay 40% tax on my income I won't be able to afford any other health insurance.

That's about it for now... I guess it's not quite as bad as I initially thought. Wish me luck, though!

1 comment:

G said...

I think learning C++ while knowing Java is very hard. C++ is a mess of a language with inconsistent unintuitive syntax. If you stick to a "simple" subset of C++ you will be better off. Don't try to do template metaprogramming and avoid non-public inheritance.

Also, going from C++ to Java is easier than the other way around, since you need to know how to do explicit memory management in C++. Although knowing Java and C together and learning C++ might not be so bad.

However, for teaching oneself C++ I recommend:
The C++ Primer
C++ Cookbook
and maybe The C++ Programming Language, although this can come after you have learned a bit.