Monday, November 9, 2009

I've finally succumbed to the perhaps inevitable fall cold. My roommate has been under the weather for several days, and I didn't exactly treat my body well this past weekend, so it's no shocker. I'm hoping that sleep + rooibos will fix me up in a day or two, but one of those two is substantially harder than the other.

Teaching is a drag! I can't say how much I'm looking forward to being home for almost a month, but it is quite a bit. Things that have happened in class recently:

- A girl (who always does this, btw) was saying something in Hungarian while I was writing on the board... When I said, "Speak English!" she stopped talking altogether. I turned and asked her to repeat what she said, and she replied, "I'm sorry, I've already forgotten."

- I cut my hair last week. In class I was doing reported speech*, so I asked one of my students to say something... He got flustered for a minute and then came out with "I like short-haired women." That is not appropriate! The next class he started asking about my dietary concerns and then followed that with the whopper, "How do you maintain your figure?" I could give him the benefit of the doubt, saying that he might not realize quite how offensive it is, but to be honest I'm not at all inclined to.

- Speaking of the same class, the students hate/don't understand the material but I'm not sure I'm allowed to teach them something other than business English. It's also a shitty long commute.

Time for bed. Goodnight, twenty-two!


* e.g., "John said that he would gladly pay any price you might demand for these delicious bananas."

No comments: