Sunday, September 28, 2008

Noah and the Whale

Check this out

I feel like I started Hungary over again today, in a good way. For whatever reason (or for ten million reasons) the past week was really taxing, but hopefully the worst is over. I still have to register for classes by the end of September (read: in three days) and the professor I asked to help me with that referred me to the other MSc student who either doesn't check his gmail or doesn't want to respond to me, but hopefully that can get sorted out tomorrow.

I went to bed at eleven last night, woke up at nine and decided that I should go for a run on Margaret Island just because it's the first beautiful, sunny day we've had in two weeks. (Exercising for its own sake, like relaxation, is a novelty unknown to me) I successfully ran the entirety of the 5k loop and now I'm back home about to make lunch accompanied by fresh-squeezed orange juice. I hope I'm not turning into one of those obnoxiously healthy people, but I feel great right now. :D

(We don't have a juicer, so I'm just going to disassemble the orange and stab it with a fork.)

I've also started doing bikram yoga three times a week -- it's the one where you heat up the room to 105 degrees. I remember reading about celebrities doing it left, right and center and wondering why you would voluntarily exercise in an overheated room for an hour and a half, but I think I've hopped on the bandwagon. Admittedly there are days when the heat gets to you and everything touching your skin (including your own sweat) is a violation, but mostly it's very calming and meditative. Not only do I leave with a great high, but I've noticed precipitous changes in my body just in the past two weeks. I have muscles! I feel healthy! I might have to keep this up.

3 comments:

Andy Parrish said...

I'm glad you're doing so well! Also, that Noah and the Whale song has been stuck in my head the past few days. Dang.

Unknown said...

Wow, so many people I know are taking up this hot yoga. Maybe I should try it.

Maria said...

random comment about the juicer -
I don't have one either. I cut the fruit in half and use the bottom of a drinking glass (preferably one of those pressed glass ones so it has some edges) sitting in a bowl.
it works fairly well.
also, that is neat about the yoga. I've never done the hot room kind, just iyengar and hatha (or however it's spelled) but noticed a big change in breathing and flexibility all around.
(oh, by the way ... this is Maria!)